How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about aircraft with motors, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Aircraft with Motors
Aircraft that can land and take off either on land or water are amphibious. Some have skis so they can also land on snow or ice. Amphibious aircraft are especially useful in remote areas where they can land on runways, lakes, or rivers.
Helicopters get lift and thrust from the propellers—a rotor on the top. This rotor allows helicopters to take off and land vertically. It also lets the helicopter hover, and fly forward, backward, and sideways. Helicopters are often used in areas where there is no room for an airplane runway.
Stealth aircraft are military aircraft. These planes use advanced technology to avoid being detected by radar. Stealth planes have features that interfere with radar. These features make the plane difficult to see, hear, or detect with hi-tech equipment. However, these aircraft can be detected when they use their weapons. Stealth planes can have human pilots. They can also be flown by remote control.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. People are searching for a hiker lost in the wilderness. Give three reasons why a helicopter would be better to search with than an airplane.
Great answer!Great answer!
Type your response above.
2. Which aircraft is best to land in remote areas that have rivers or lakes?CorrectIncorrect
3. Which aircraft use advanced technology to avoid being detected by radar?CorrectIncorrect
4. Which aircraft take off and land vertically?CorrectIncorrect
5. Amphibious aircraft can be flown by remote control.CorrectIncorrect