How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read A Day at the Beach, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
A Day at the Beach
Marco and his parents were sitting on a big blanket at the beach. It was a sunny and windy day. The wind made big waves in the lake. There were lots of people at the beach. Everybody was talking and laughing.
Suddenly, a woman started shouting. Everybody on the beach got quiet so they could hear what she was saying.
“Blackie, where are you?” the woman shouted. “Has anybody seen a furry black dog?” The woman walked down the beach calling, “Blackie! Blackie!”
Marco looked over at the lake. He saw a black dog swimming to the shore. He wondered if the dog was Blackie. When the dog came out of the water, Marco called, “Blackie! Come here, Blackie!”
The dog ran over to Marcus and onto his family’s blanket. “You must be Blackie,” said Marco. The dog wagged its tail and then shook the water out of its fur. Marco and his parents got all wet!
Marco’s dad saw Blackie’s owner coming back. He waved at the woman and pointed to the dog. She rushed over. “You found my dog!” she said.
“I didn’t find your dog,” said Dad. “My son did.”
“I’m so thankful you found him,” the woman said to Marco. She gave Marco a big hug. Just then, Blackie saw a bird and ran off down the beach to chase it. The woman raced after Blackie, shouting, “You naughty dog, Blackie! Come back here!”
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
A cause is what makes something happen. The effect is what happens because of the cause.
Cause: The sidewalk was covered with ice.
Effect: A man slipped and fell on the sidewalk.
1. What is the cause of the big waves in the lake?CorrectIncorrect
2. A woman on the beach starts shouting. This is a cause. What is the effect?CorrectIncorrect
3. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Blackie shakes the water out of his fur
- Marco and his parents get all wet.
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
4. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- The woman feels very thankful that Marco found Blackie.
- The woman gives Marco a big hug.
5. Who found the dog?CorrectIncorrect