How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
A Birthday in Mexico
Pablo lives in Mexico. Read about Pablo’s birthday party.
A Sombrero Cake
Pablo’s birthday cake is a sombrero cake. A sombrero is a Mexican hat. Pablo’s cake is shaped like a sombrero. A sombrero birthday cake is a tradition in Mexico.
In Mexico, the birthday boy or girl takes the first bite of cake. There is a special way to do it.
Pablo holds his hands behind his back. He takes a bite out of the whole cake. He does not use a fork or spoon. He bites right into the cake with his mouth. Pablo looks funny with cake all over his face.
The best part of Pablo’s birthday party is the piñata (say it like this: pin-yah-tah). The piñata is a tradition at birthday parties in Mexico.
Sometimes the piñata looks like an animal. The piñata hangs from the ceiling. Children take turns trying to break the piñata with a long stick. The children wear a blindfold so they cannot see.
Pablo hits the piñata and breaks it. Candies and small toys for all the children come out of the piñata.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Why do many children in Mexico have a sombrero cake on their birthday?CorrectIncorrect
2. What does the first picture help you learn?CorrectIncorrect
3. Which subheading would you look under to find out who takes the first bite of birthday cake in Mexico?CorrectIncorrect
4. What is a blindfold?CorrectIncorrect
5. Does Pablo get to keep all the candies and toys that come out of the piñata?CorrectIncorrect