How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about gravity or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
The Force of Gravity
Gravity is the force that makes things fall. Gravity is a force that pulls things to the ground. Gravity stops objects from floating up. Gravity holds things down.
Remember four things that forces can do:
1. Make an object start moving
2. Make an object stop moving
3. Change the speed of an object
4. Change the direction of a moving object
The force of gravity can do the same things.
Gravity Makes an Object Start Moving
If you let go of a ball, the ball drops to the ground. You do not need to push the ball to make the ball fall. Gravity makes the ball start moving.
Gravity Makes an Object Stop Moving
If you toss a ball up, the ball will soon start to fall. Before the ball starts to fall, the ball will stop in the air. The ball stops for a very short time. You do not see the ball stop. The force of gravity makes the ball stop going up.
Gravity Changes the Speed of a Moving Object
When an object falls, the object moves faster and faster as it gets closer to the ground. Gravity makes things move faster as they get closer to Earth.
Gravity Changes the Direction of a Moving Object
If you throw a ball to a friend far away, the ball starts to fall. The direction of the ball changes. The ball starts to fall down. Gravity changes the direction of the ball.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What happens when an object falls?CorrectIncorrect
2. What happens when you throw an object up in the air?CorrectIncorrect
3. If you drop a ball, you need to push it for it hit the ground.CorrectIncorrect
4. Gravity holds things down.CorrectIncorrect
5. Fill in the blanks using information from the text.
Gravity is a that pulls things to the .