How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Two Ancient Pyramids
In ancient times, people built large pyramids made of stone blocks. Stone is a very strong building material, so some of these pyramids are still standing today, even though they are over 1,000 years old. Read on to learn about two ancient pyramids that are very famous and are visited by many tourists.
The Great Pyramid
The Great Pyramid is the largest pyramid in Egypt. It was built over 4,000 years ago from millions of blocks of stone.
The Great Pyramid was built for an ancient Egyptian pharaoh (say it like this: fair-oh). A pharaoh was like a king. Most experts believe the pyramid was built to be a tomb—a place to keep the pharaoh’s body after death.
El Castillo (say it like this: ca-stee-yo) is an ancient stone pyramid in Mexico. The name of this pyramid means “the castle” in Spanish. People called the Maya built this pyramid over 1,000 years ago. El Castillo is called a pyramid even though the sides do not come to a point at the top.
Each side of El Castillo has a staircase that leads to a rectangular building at the top. This building is a temple created to honour Kukulkan, a snake god that the Maya people worshipped.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Choose each piece of information that makes The Great Pyramid different than other pyramids.CorrectIncorrect
2. What is El Castillo Spanish for?CorrectIncorrect
3. What is a building that honours a god called?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
4. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Stone is a very strong building material.
- Some ancient stone pyramids are still standing today.
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: The Great Pyramid is the largest pyramid in Egypt.CorrectIncorrect