Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
What does it mean to be shy? Read some facts about being shy.
• Shy people do not feel comfortable around people they do not know well.
• It is not easy for shy people to make new friends. Being around lots of people can also be hard for them. Shy people feel more comfortable when they are by themselves or with one or two people they know well.
• Shy people are often quiet people. It is hard for them to talk to people they don’t know well. It might also be hard for them to talk in front of lots of people.
• Both adults and children can be shy. Many shy children become less shy as they grow up.
• Sometimes, people think shy people are not friendly because they don’t talk much to others. Most shy people are friendly people, but it is not easy for them to show they are friendly. Shy people like having friends just as much as other people do.
• People don’t choose to be shy. It’s just the way they are. Many shy people wish they were not shy. No one is sure why some people are shy.
• There is nothing wrong about being shy. People are different. Some people are shy, and some are not. Some people are very shy, and some people are just a little bit shy.
• A person who is not usually shy can feel shy sometimes. Most children would feel shy if the teacher asked them to sing a song by themselves in front of the class.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Which activity would a shy child feel most comfortable doing?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
2. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
Shy people do not talk to others very much.
People think shy people are not friendly.
3. What is one thing readers learn from this text?CorrectIncorrect
4. Choose the words where the letter y makes the long i sound.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Both adults and children can be shy.CorrectIncorrect