Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Old and New TV’s
Stores started selling TVs about 100 years ago. The first TVs were very different from the TVs we watch today. But all TVs do the same things—they show pictures on a screen, and they play sounds.
Old TV screens could show only three colours—black, white, and grey. Have you seen an old back-and-white photo? That’s what the pictures on old TVs looked like. The first TVs had very small screens.
Old TVs were shaped like big, thick boxes. Some of these TVs had a radio, too.
Old TVs did not come with a remote control. People used knobs on the TV to turn it on, change the channel, and make the sound louder or softer.
About 60 years ago, stores started selling TVs that showed all the colours. By that time, TVs had larger screens.
The TVs we have today are called flat-screen TVs. These TVs are not shaped like thick boxes. New TVs are thin enough to hang on a wall.
New TVs have bigger screens than old TVs. Some new TVs have huge screens! You can sit far from the TV and still see everything clearly.
New TVs come with a remote control. People don’t have to get out of their chairs to change the channel or turn up the sound.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Choose each piece of information that is true about old TV’s.CorrectIncorrect
2. People sat close to the first TVs. Why?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
3. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Old TVs did not come with a remote control.
- People went to the TV to change the channel.
4. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: I like watching movies on the TV.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Old TV screens could show only three colours—black, white, and grey.CorrectIncorrect