How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Why Do People Need Sleep?
Sleep helps people in many ways. Getting enough sleep makes it easier for our brains to think and learn new things. Sleep can help people from getting sick. Sleep also helps children’s bodies grow taller.
Getting enough sleep helps you to be in a good mood the next day. People who do not get enough sleep can feel grumpy and tired the next day.
How Much Sleep?
Children and adults need different amounts of sleep. Children need 10 to 11 hours of sleep each night. Adults need less sleep. Most adults need about 8 hours of sleep each night. Babies need the most sleep. A baby sleeps for about 16 hours every day.
Animals need sleep, too! Some animals need a lot of sleep. Brown bats sleep for about 20 hours each day. Giraffes sleep for only about 2 hours each day.
Sleep gives our brains a rest. But our brains do not completely stop working while we sleep. One thing they do is dream. Scientists think everybody has dreams every night. Often, we do not remember our dreams when we wake up.
Both adults and children sometimes have scary dreams. Scary dreams are called nightmares. People often wake up right after a scary dream. Even adults can feel scared after waking up from a scary dream. It’s a good idea not to watch a scary movie right before bedtime!
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
Brain Stretch: What is your typical bedtime routine? Following the same routine before bed each night can help get the body ready for sleep.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Why is it a good idea not to watch a scary movie right before bedtime?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
2. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
You do not get enough sleep at night.
You can feel grumpy and tired the next day.
3. Choose each piece of information that is true about sleep for adults and children.CorrectIncorrect
4. About how many hours a day does a baby sleep for?CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Sleep gives our brains a rest.CorrectIncorrect