How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Laughing and Crying
Everybody laughs and cries sometimes. People cry when they feel very sad. Their eyes make tears. When something is very funny and makes people laugh hard, their eyes may also make tears. That’s why people sometimes say, “I laughed so hard that I cried.” There are even times when being very angry or very happy makes people cry tears.
Scientists study laughing and crying to learn more about them. Below are some of the things scientists have learned.
• Laughing and crying can be hard to control. There are times when people try to stop themselves from laughing or crying, but they just can’t.
• People laugh more when they are not alone. When children watch a funny cartoon together, they laugh more than if they had watched the same cartoon alone. People cry more often when they are alone than when they are with others.
• Both laughing and crying can help put people in a better mood. People feel better after laughing than before laughing. Crying often helps people feel less sad or upset than they did before they cried.
• Laughing and crying both help people connect with others. When two people who don’t know each other laugh together, it creates a friendly feeling between them. When people see someone crying, they often connect with the person by asking what is wrong and trying to find ways to make the person feel better.
• People sometimes cry when they feel pain. Scientists have discovered that crying can make the pain hurt less.
• Laughing and crying can both be good for our health.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Complete the sentence.
People laugh more when they are not ________________________.CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
2. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- People who don’t know each other laugh together.
- A friendly feeling happens between people.
3. Choose each piece of information that is true about laughing and crying.CorrectIncorrect
4. What do readers learn from the text?CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Laughing and crying can be hard to control.CorrectIncorrect