How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Email and Snail Mail
Email and snail mail are two ways to send written messages to people.
You can use a computer or cellphone to send someone a message by email. First, you put in your friend’s email address and type the message. Next, you press or click on the “Send” button. In a minute or two, the message gets to the computer or phone of the person you sent the email to. Sending an email anywhere in the world is fast—and it’s also free!
Snail mail is a name some people use for post office mail. To send someone a message by snail mail, you write them a letter on paper. Then you put the letter in an envelope. On the envelope, you write the name and street address of the person the letter is for. You also need to put a stamp on the envelope. Stamps cost money, so sending a letter by snail mail is not free.
Next, you have to mail the letter. To do that, you take it to a big mailbox on a street and drop it inside. Trucks from the post office pick up all the letters and take them back to the post office. The post office uses trucks and planes to take letters to the cities where they are going. Then, a mail carrier delivers your letter to the mailbox of the person your letter is for.
How long does it take for snail mail to get where it is going? It depends how far the letter is going. A letter going to someone who lives in your city might take three or four days. A letter going to someone in a faraway country might take more than a week!
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Choose each piece of information that is true about email and snail mail.CorrectIncorrect
2. Why do people call post office mail “snail mail”?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
3. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Snail mail travels by trucks or planes.
- It can take several days for snail mail to arrive.
4. Snail mail is another name for what kind of mail?CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Sending an email anywhere in the world is fast.CorrectIncorrect