How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Pasta for Dinner!
Lots of kids love to eat spaghetti or macaroni. Spaghetti and macaroni are two different kinds of pasta.
What Is Pasta Made Of?
Pasta is made from flour. Water or eggs are mixed into the flour to make pasta dough. People use a special machine to shape the dough into spaghetti or macaroni. The dough can be cooked right away, or it can be left to dry out.
Spaghetti and Macaroni
There are many kinds of pasta. Spaghetti and macaroni are just two kinds. Spaghetti is long and thin. It is shaped like a thin straw, but there is no hole in the middle. Macaroni is shorter and thicker than spaghetti. Macaroni has a hole in the middle.
The pasta most people buy in stores is dry pasta. Dry pasta is hard and crunchy. People cook dry pasta in boiling water to make it soft and chewy. It takes only a few minutes for the pasta to become soft and ready to eat.
Sauce for Pasta
People eat pasta with sauce. A red sauce made from tomatoes is used with spaghetti. Some people add meat to their spaghetti sauce, or they make meatballs to eat with the spaghetti and sauce.
Macaroni and cheese is macaroni mixed with a sauce made with cheese. Stores sell boxes of macaroni and cheese. Inside each box is dry macaroni and a packet of orange powder. Adding milk to the powder turns it into cheese sauce. Macaroni and cheese is a favourite food for many kids!
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What do some people use instead of water to make pasta dough?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
2. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
Pasta is cooked in boiling water.
The pasta becomes soft and chewy.
3. What will happen if dry pasta is not cooked long enough?CorrectIncorrect
3. Choose each piece of information that is true about spaghetti and macaroni.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Pasta is my favourite food.CorrectIncorrect