How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Doing the Laundry
How do people make dirty clothes clean again? They use a washer and a dryer. Washing dirty clothes is also called “doing the laundry.”
Clothes go into part of a washing machine called the drum. People add some special soap for clothes. This soap is also called detergent.
When the washing machine is turned on, water goes into the drum. The drum starts to spin in a circle. The soap and water make the dirt come out of the clothes.
Next, the soapy water goes out of the drum, and clean water goes into the drum. The drum spins again so the clean water can get all the soap out of the clothes. After the water drains away, the drum spins really fast. The clothes in the washer spin, too. Making clothes spin fast pulls most of the water out of them. Then, the clothes are ready for the dryer. They are still wet, but they do not drip water.
The place in a dryer where clothes go is also called a drum. When the dryer is turned on, warm air goes into the drum. Warm air dries the clothes.
The drum spins in a circle as the clothes get dry. Spinning helps make sure all the clothes get dry. Spinning also helps keep clothes from getting wrinkles.
As clothes dry, tiny pieces of fabric come off them. These tiny pieces are called lint. Dryers have a lint trap that catches the lint. It is important to clean the lint out of the lint trap after using the dryer.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What is the name for washing machine soap?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
2. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
The drum in a washing machine spins really fast.
Most of the water is pulled out of wet clothes.
3. Why do washing machines spin really fast to pull most of the water out of wet clothes?CorrectIncorrect
4. Choose each piece of information that is true about washing machines and dryers.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: The place in a dryer where clothes go is called a drum.CorrectIncorrect