How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
There are many interesting things to see underwater. How do people breathe when they are exploring underwater?
Swimming with a Snorkel
A snorkel is a long tube. One end of the snorkel goes in the swimmer’s mouth. The other end of the snorkel sticks up above the water. A snorkel lets swimmers breathe air in and out while they are underwater. Swimmers must stay close to the surface of the water so the top end of the snorkel stays in the air. If the top end goes underwater, the swimmer will breathe in water. People do not need special training to use a snorkel.
Scuba divers go deep underwater, so they cannot use a snorkel. Instead, scuba divers carry a tank of air on their back. A tube goes from the air tank to a piece that goes into the diver’s mouth. Scuba divers breathe in air through the tube. When they breathe out, air escapes as bubbles from a hole in the mouthpiece.
Scuba divers get special training to learn how to dive safely. They must be careful about how long they stay underwater. They need to return to the surface of the water before the air in their tank runs out.
When divers go very deep underwater, they must return to the surface slowly. Divers who return too quickly can get a sickness that is sometimes called “the bends.” This sickness can cause pain in the body, trouble breathing, and even death. Scuba divers are always careful to stay safe.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Choose each piece of information that is true about snorkelling and scuba diving.CorrectIncorrect
2. Complete the sentence.
Divers who get the bends might have trouble ___________________.CorrectIncorrect
3. Why do people need special training to scuba dive?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
4. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- The top of a snorkel goes under the water.
- The swimmer breathes in water.
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Scuba divers carry a tank of air on their back.CorrectIncorrect