How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Elevators and Escalators
Elevators and escalators make it easy to go up and down between the floors of a building. They use electricity to move us up and down.
An elevator has two main parts. The shaft is like a long tunnel that goes from the bottom of a building to the top. The elevator car is the part that people stand in. The elevator car moves up and down inside the shaft. One elevator can move both up and down.
There are buttons with numbers inside an elevator. If you want to go to the third floor, you press the button with the number 3 on it. That tells the elevator to stop and let you get off on the third floor. When you press an elevator button, it lights up.
An escalator is a stairway with steps that move. It goes from one floor of a building to the next floor. An escalator moves people in only one direction—up or down. That’s why you usually see two escalators beside each other. One is moving people up, and the other one is moving people down.
Most people stand on an escalator. They wait until it takes them to the next floor. Some people are in a hurry. They walk up or down the escalator steps to get to the next floor faster. People who want to stand should stay on the right side of an escalator. That way, people who want to walk on the escalator have room to get by on the left side.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What is the space that the elevator moves up and down in?CorrectIncorrect
2. What do escalators and elevators use to move people between floors in a building?CorrectIncorrect
3. Choose each piece of information that is true about escalators.CorrectIncorrect
3. Why does an elevator button light up when it is pressed?CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: An escalator is a stairway with steps that move.CorrectIncorrect