How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
How to share this Lesson/Activity with Microsoft Teams:
- To share this lesson/activity with Microsof Teams, click "Continue with Microsoft" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Microsoft Teams" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
There are many different kinds of cactus plants. What makes cactus plants different from other kinds of plants?
Growing in the Desert
Plants need sunlight and water to stay alive. Most deserts are hot, sandy places where it rains very little. There is lots of sunlight in a desert, but there is very little rain to water plants. Most plants can’t grow in a dry desert, but cactus plants can!
When it does rain in a desert, a cactus plant’s roots soak up the water. The roots and the top part of a cactus can hold lots of water. Most plants can’t do that. A cactus plant uses the water a little bit at a time to stay alive. That’s why a cactus plant can stay alive until the next time there is rain in the desert.
Shapes and Sizes
Cactus plants come in many different shapes and sizes. Some are tall and thin, and others are shaped like a ball. The saguaro cactus (say saguaro like this: sa-wah-roe) has branches that look like arms reaching up to the sky!
Leaves and Flowers
Can you think of a plant that has no leaves? Most cactus plants have no leaves. They are covered with prickly needles called spines. Most animals don’t eat cactus plants because of the sharp spines.
Cactus plants can grow flowers. Some kinds of cactus plants don’t grow flowers until the plant is over 30 years old. Other kinds of cactus grow flowers only if they get just the right amount of sunlight and water.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
Brain Stretch: View Internet photos of various types of cactus plants, including photos that show cactus plants in bloom.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Which cactus has branches that look like arms?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
2. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Cactus plants hold lots of water inside.
- Cactus plants can live in a dry desert.
3. Choose each piece of information that makes cactus plants different than all plants.CorrectIncorrect
4. Which title below would also work well for this text?CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: There is lots of sunlight in a desert.CorrectIncorrect