How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about keeping food cold, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Lots of Brushes
A brush has lots of long, thin pieces called bristles. The bristles in a brush can be stiff or soft. Stiff bristles do not bend easily. Soft bristles are easy to bend. In most homes, there are many different kinds of brushes.
Toothbrushes: A toothbrush is a small brush with bristles made of plastic. Most toothbrushes have soft bristles. Stiff bristles could hurt your gums. A toothbrush and toothpaste work together to clean your teeth.
Paintbrushes: Paintbrushes have soft bristles. Soft bristles are better for spreading paint on walls and furniture. Paintbrushes come in different sizes. Narrow paint brushes are good for painting small things. Wide paintbrushes are good for painting large, flat spaces. People use small paintbrushes with long handles to make paintings.
Hairbrushes: Hairbrushes are used to make hair neat. Most hairbrushes have stiff bristles made of plastic. Stiff bristles are better for getting tangles out of long hair.
Scrub Brush: Some people use a scrub brush to clean floors. Bits of dirt can get stuck to a floor. Scrub brushes are made with stiff plastic bristles. Stiff bristles can clean away dirt that is stuck to a floor.
Brooms: Did you know that a broom is a kind of brush? A broom is a brush with a very long handle and stiff bristles. The brooms most people use have bristles made from plastic or from plants, such as corn or straw. Brooms with a very wide brush are called push brooms.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What kind of plant can a broom’s bristles be made from?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
2. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Scrub brushes are made with stiff bristles.
- Scrub brushes clean away dirt stuck to a floor.
3. Why do brooms have very long handles?CorrectIncorrect
4. Choose each piece of information that is true about scrub brushes and brooms.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Stiff bristles do not bend easily.CorrectIncorrect