How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
At an Animal Shelter
Sometimes, people find a lost dog or cat and take it to an animal shelter. An animal shelter looks after lost animals. People who have lost a pet can go to an animal shelter to see someone has brought in their pet.
When an animal arrives at an animal shelter, a vet checks to see if it is healthy. If the animal is not healthy, the vet knows how to look after it.
Animal Shelter Workers
Vets and other workers have jobs looking after the animals at an animal shelter. Some workers feed and wash the animals. They also clean the places where the animals live.
Volunteers also work at animal shelters. Some volunteers take dogs for walks or take them to an outdoor area at the shelter where they can run to get exercise. Cats do not go outside, but there is a room where volunteers take them to play. This room might have a climbing wall so the cats can get exercise by jumping and climbing. Both cats and dogs need exercise. They also need lots of love and attention from humans. Volunteers help make sure dogs and cats get the exercise and attention they need.
People who have lost a dog or cat might find it an animal shelter. If a pet’s owner does not come looking for their pet, the animal shelter will let someone else adopt it. Animal shelter workers and volunteers are thrilled every time an animal is picked up by its owner or is adopted. These people know that the best life for a dog or cat is in a home with people who love it.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Workers and volunteers are thrilled when animals leave the shelter. What does thrilled mean?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
2. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- An animal’s owner does not come to the shelter.
- The shelter lets someone adopt the animal.
3. Choose each piece of information that is true about dogs and cats in a shelter.CorrectIncorrect
4. Complete the sentence.
People can go to an animal shelter to ___________________ a new pet to take home.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: I like dogs better than cats.CorrectIncorrect