How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Construction Machines: Bulldozers and Cranes
Bulldozers are machines for moving dirt and rocks. Some bulldozers use wheels to move, but most use tracks instead. A track is like a loop of ribbon made from steel. There is a track on each side of a bulldozer. When the tracks turn, the bulldozer moves across the ground. Tracks are good for moving across soft, muddy ground. Wheels can get stuck in muddy ground.
The front of a bulldozer has a part called a blade. The blade pushes dirt or rocks. Some bulldozers have a blade shaped like a scoop. This kind of blade can dig shallow holes and pick up heavy rocks. The blade is attached to two arms that can move the blade up or down.
Cranes are powerful machines used to lift heavy objects. Cranes are tall so they can lift objects to high places. Some cranes are on trucks so they can move from place to place. A truck crane can use wheels or tracks to move.
The long arm of a crane has a hook attached to a cable. The cable is like a thick rope made of metal. The hook picks up a heavy object. Then, the crane’s arm moves up to lift the object.
Some cranes are not on trucks. Workers build the crane at a construction site. When the construction is finished, workers take the crane apart and move it away. They will use the crane again at their next construction job.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Which part of a bulldozer can push or dig?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
2. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Most bulldozers have tracks instead of wheels.
- Most bulldozers will not get stuck in muddy ground.
3. Choose each piece of information that is true about bulldozers and cranes.CorrectIncorrect
4. Why do cranes use a metal cable instead of regular rope?CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: The front of a bulldozer has a part called a blade.CorrectIncorrect