How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Don’t Eat My Leaves!
Animals have ways to protect themselves. When an enemy wants to eat an animal, there are things the animal can do. A skunk can spray a nasty smell. A bird can fly up into a tree. A turtle can go inside its shell.
Plants have enemies, too. Many animals eat the leaves of plants. A plant’s leaves make food for the plant. A plant can die if animals eat too many of its leaves. Some plants have ways to protect themselves.
Corn is a tall plant with very long, green leaves. Caterpillars like to eat the leaves of corn plants. When caterpillars start to eat a corn plant’s leaves, the plant gives off a special smell. Humans can’t smell it, but wasps can. Wasps follow the smell to the plant. Wasps like to eat caterpillars, so wasps save the corn plant by eating up all the caterpillars.
A stinging nettle plant has green leaves with points all around the edge. The leaves are covered with small hairs. Some of the hairs are short, and some are long and sharp. When animals try to eat this plant, the long, sharp hairs go into the animals’ skin. Each long hair is like a stinger. It stings the animal’s skin. Animals don’t want to eat this plant because they will get many small stings. People stay away from this plant because it will sting human skin, too!
Fact File: Many cactus plants are covered with long, sharp needles called spines. You can guess why animals do not want to eat this plant!
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
Brain Stretch: Look online at photos of poison ivy, the leaves grow in groups of three. Why should you avoid this plant when in wilderness areas?
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Why can a plant die if animals eat lots of its leaves?CorrectIncorrect
2. What are the long sharp needles on a cactus plant called?CorrectIncorrect
3. Choose each piece of information that is true about corn and stinging nettle.CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
4. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- A corn plant gives off a special smell.
- Wasps go to the corn plant to eat the caterpillars.
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Many animals eat the leaves of plants.CorrectIncorrect