How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
The Fox and the Lion
One day, a fox was walking down a road. Suddenly, a hungry lion jumped out from behind some bushes. “You will be my dinner!” roared Lion.
“Why should you eat me up when I am just like you?” asked Fox.
Lion was amazed. “You are not at all like me!” he said. “You are just a little fox. I am a big, strong lion. All the other animals are afraid of me. That is why they call me King of All Beasts.”
“Still, we are the same in many ways,” said Fox. “We are both good at hunting. We both have sharp teeth. And we are both scary beasts.”
“Only a few small animals are afraid of you,” said Lion. “I am a king because all animals are afraid of me.”
“But all humans are afraid of me,” said Fox. “I will prove it. If I am right, you will not eat me up.” Lion agreed. “Let’s walk down this road,” said Fox. “You stay a little behind me. Soon, we are sure to see some people. Watch how I scare them and make them run away.”
Fox walked down the road and Lion followed. Soon, they did see people walking toward them. The people turned around and ran away as fast as they could. They were not afraid of Fox. They were afraid because they saw Lion walking behind Fox.
“See how scared of me they were?” said Fox. “You will not eat me today!”
Lion was very surprised. He believed that Fox had made the people run away. “I will have to look somewhere else for my dinner,” Lion said glumly.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Lion glumly says, “I will have to look somewhere else for my dinner.” What does glumly mean?CorrectIncorrect
2. What was Lion hiding behind when he saw Fox?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
3. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- The people on the road see Lion behind Fox.
- The people on the road run away.
4. Choose each piece of information that is true about Lion and Fox.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Lion is my favourite character.CorrectIncorrect