How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Two Ways to Read Books
For hundreds of years, books have been printed on paper. The pages are sewn or glued together to make a book. Today, we can also read books on the screen of a computer.
Books people read on a screen are called electronic books, but most people call them e-books for short. People buy e-books on the Internet and download them to a computer.
Many people read e-books on tablet computers because this kind of computer is small and light. You don’t need to sit at a desk or table to use a tablet computer. You can take a tablet computer to the park and read an e-book under a shady tree.
Just like paper books, people can buy fiction and non-fiction e-books. A computer can store hundreds of e-books. It’s like having your own library inside a computer!
Why Some People Like E-books Best
Reading any kind of book for a long time can make your eyes tired. That’s because your eyes work hard to focus on the words to see them clearly. With an e-book, you can make the words bigger. Bigger words are easier for your eyes to read, so your eyes don’t get tired as quickly.
An e-book is cheaper than a paper version of the same book. Why? When you buy a paper book, you are paying for the cost of the paper and ink used to make the book. E-books don’t need paper and ink, so they don’t cost as much as paper books.
Many people who care about the environment love e-books. As more people start reading e-books, fewer trees are cut down to make paper. That’s good for the environment!
Step 6: Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about ways to read books by clicking on the link below.
Click “Begin Questions” below. Once you have finished the questions, choose “Click Here to Continue” for the Grammar Quiz.
Brain Stretch: If you have e-books, what are some of the features?
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What does the e in e-book stand for?CorrectIncorrect
2. Choose each piece of information that make e-books different from all books.CorrectIncorrect
3. Why might people who buy lots of books like e-books best?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
4. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- You read for a long time.
- Your eyes get tired.
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: An e-book is cheaper than a paper version of the same book.CorrectIncorrect