How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Containers for Food
Food in grocery stores comes in different kinds of containers. Some foods come in cans. Other foods come in glass bottles or jars. Food can go bad over time. Cans and glass bottles and jars keep food from going bad. How do they do that? They keep out air so the food stays safe to eat. When there is no air in a container, the food inside will not go bad.
Cans are made from a metal called aluminum. People use can openers to open cans. Some people use a manual (say it like this: man-yu-al) can opener. It has a sharp, round blade that punches through the top of the can. Then, people use their muscles to turn a crank. The crank turns the can so the blade can cut all the way around the top. Sometimes, it is hard to turn the crank, so people really need to use their muscles!
Most people use electric can openers. With this kind of can opener, people do not need to use their muscles to turn a crank. The can opener turns the can so the blade can cut all around the top of the can.
One good thing about cans is that people can recycle them instead of throwing them in the garbage.
Glass Bottles and Jars
Glass bottles and jars have a lid that opens when you turn it. One good thing about these bottles and jars is that you can see inside. If you don’t use all the food inside at one time, you can see how much is left. Another good thing about glass bottles and jars is that the glass can be recycled.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
Brain Stretch: Explore which foods in your home are in a tin, and which are in a glass bottle or jar.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Why do most people use electric can openers?CorrectIncorrect
2. What is the metal that cans are made of called?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
3. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Cans and bottles keep out air.
- The food in a can or bottle does not go bad.
4. Choose each piece of information that is true about can, glass bottles and jars.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Cans are made from a metal called aluminum.CorrectIncorrect