How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Birds and Bats
Birds and bats are both animals that can fly. In some ways, these animals are the same. In other ways, these animals are very different.
Wings: A bird’s wings are covered with feathers. A bat’s wings have no feathers.
Food: Some kinds of bats eat fruit and seeds, and so do some kinds of birds. Many birds and bats eat insects. Some insects can eat up the plants that farmers grow. Birds and bats help farmers by eating some of these insects.
Sleeping: Bats sleep hanging upside down. Some birds sleep standing up, and other sit down to sleep. Birds and bats sleep at different times. Most birds sleep at night, but most bats sleep during the day. Animals that sleep during the day and are active at night are called nocturnal animals.
Babies: Baby bats do not hatch from eggs, but baby birds do. Baby bats drink milk from their mother. Baby birds are fed by their parents. The parents might catch worms and insects to feed to their babies.
Homes: Many birds build nests. Most birds build nests in trees, but some birds build nests on the ground. Bats do not build nests. They often use caves, trees, or barns as homes.
Fact File: Are Vampire Bats Real?
Yes, there really are vampire bats that drink blood! They bite sleeping animals to make a little bit of blood come out. The animals do not die after losing only a little blood. Vampire bats almost never bite humans.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Choose each piece of information that is true about bats.CorrectIncorrect
2. What is an animal called when it is active at night?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
3. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Birds and bats eat insects.
- There are fewer insects left to eat farmers’ plants.
4. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Bats are better than birds.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: A bird’s wings are covered with feathers.CorrectIncorrect