How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Flying Without Wings
Some animals have no wings but move through the air. Flying without flapping wings is called gliding.
There are different kinds of flying fish. These fish have very long, flat fins that look like wings. To fly, these fish swim very fast toward the surface of the water. Then they jump out of the water and into the air. They spread out their long, flat fins and glide through the air. Soon, they drop back down into the water.
Flying fish jump into the air and glide to escape from their enemies. Often, flying fish swim together in large groups. A group of fish that swims together is called a school. Sometimes, a whole school of flying fish jumps out of the water and glides at the same time.
Did you know that a few kinds of squirrels can fly? These squirrels have two long, flat pieces of skin called flaps on their body. A flap goes between the front and back leg on each side of their body. To fly, a flying squirrel jumps from a high tree branch and stretches out its front and back legs. The flaps of skin let the squirrel glide through the air to another tree.
Squirrels are nimble climbers that can race up and down trees. Why do they fly to get to another tree instead of going across the ground? Enemies on the ground can attack squirrels. A flying squirrel glides from tree to tree to stay away from its enemies.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. What is a group of fish that swims together called?CorrectIncorrect
2. Squirrels are nimble climbers that can race up and down trees. What does nimble mean?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
3. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- A flying fish is being chased by an enemy.
- The flying fish glides through the air.
4. Choose each piece of information that is true about flying squirrels and flying fish.CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: Flying squirrels are the best animals.CorrectIncorrect