How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read the following selection, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Dinosaurs Big and Small
Scientists look at the bones of dead dinosaurs to figure out how big they were. Bones show whether a dinosaur was big or small.
T-Rex was a big dinosaur, but it was not the biggest. A T-Rex was longer than a large school bus. This dinosaur hunted for its food. It had many strong teeth to help it catch and eat animals. A T-Rex did not use its arms to bring food to its mouth. Its arms were too short to reach its mouth.
Some scientists believe that young T-Rex dinosaurs had feathers covering their body. But a T-Rex did not have wings, so it could not fly. As a T-Rex got older, the feathers fell off.
Dilong (say it like this: die-long) was one of the smaller dinosaurs. It was only about as long as a bed for a grownup. Like a T-Rex, a Dilong hunted animals for food and used its many strong teeth to eat them. A Dilong could use its arms to help it eat. This dinosaur’s arms were long enough to reach up to its mouth.
Scientists believe that Dilongs had feathers. The feathers did not fall out as the dinosaurs got older. A Dilong did not have wings, so it could not fly.
Fact File: The first T-Rex bones were discovered over 100 years ago. The first Dilong bones were discovered in 2004.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
3. Choose each piece of information that is true about the T-Rex and Dilong.CorrectIncorrect
2. How did having feathers help a Dilong?CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
3. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- Scientists look at a dinosaur’s bones.
- Scientists can tell how big a dinosaur was.
4. What year were the first Dilong bones discovered?CorrectIncorrect
5. Choose if the following statement is a fact or opinion: I think dinosaurs are very cool.CorrectIncorrect