How to share this Lesson/Activity with your Google Classroom:
- To share this lesson/activity with Google Classroom, click "Continue with Google" to get started.
- After logging in, click "Add to Google Classroom" to assign this lesson/activity to your students.
Read the Following Selection
Read about animals with no eyes, or click on the play button below to listen aloud.
Animals with No Eyes
Did you know there are some animals that have no eyes?
Kaua‘i Cave Wolf Spider
Most spiders have eight eyes, but the Kaua‘i (say it like this: cow-wa-ee) cave wolf spider has none! This spider lives inside dark caves in only one place—Kaua‘i Island in Hawaii. The Kaua‘i cave wolf spider is an endangered animal. That means there are very few left, and they could all die off if people do not work hard to protect them.
This spider does not make a web to catch food. How does it hunt with no eyes? It uses its sense of smell to hunt insects. When the spider finds one, it bites the insect with its fangs. Fangs are sharp teeth that squirt poison.
Texas Blind Salamander
The Texas blind salamander lives in dark underwater caves in only one place in Texas. Like fish, this animal uses gills to breathe underwater. Most fish have gills that are inside slits on the fish’s head. A Texas salamander’s gills are on the outside of its body.
This salamander eats shrimp and tiny snails. How does it know when there is a meal nearby? When shrimp and snails move in the water, they make the water around them move. The Texas blind salamander can feel the water moving and can tell where the movement is coming from. Scientists think this animal also uses smell to hunt its next meal.
Now, show what you know!
Complete some questions about the reading selection by clicking “Begin Questions” below.
0 of 5 questions completed
You have already completed this activity. You cannot start it again.
Activity is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to take this activity.
You must first complete the following:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed.
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Score: of ()
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Choose each piece of information that is true about the Texas Blind Salamander.CorrectIncorrect
A cause is something that makes something happen. It answers the question “why did this happen.”
An effect is what happened as a result of the cause. It answers the question “what happened.”
2. Which sentence tells the cause? Which sentence tells the effect? Drag each sentence to the correct spot.
- A moving shrimp makes the water around it move.
- A Texas blind salamander can find the shrimp.
3. Why don’t these two animals need eyes?CorrectIncorrect
4. Fill in the blank using information from the text.
The Kaua‘i cave wolf spider is an animal.
5. Texas Salamander’s have gills that are inside slits on their heads.CorrectIncorrect