Today, we’re going to…
- watch a video about a baby bat called Stellaluna, a story by Janell Cannon
- write about whether you would prefer to be a bird or a bat
- complete a word search
- colour and add a background for Stellaluna
Talking Points for Parents / Caregivers
Before watching the video, consider asking the following…
- Look at the cover page. What do you think the story will be about?
- What do you think you know about bats?
After watching the video, consider asking the following…
- How does Stellaluna’s mom carry her when she searches for food?
- How are you and your friends the same? How are you different?
- What was your favourite part of the story?
Step 1: Reading / Video
If you have the book “Stellaluna” read it aloud to your child.
For those of you who do not have the book, watch the following video.
Step 2: Writing – Would You Rather?
Once you have finished watching the video, print the document located at the link below. Help your child work through the activity.
CLICK TO VIEW WOULD YOU RATHER WORK SHEET
Ask your child if they would prefer to be a bat or a bird. Encourage your child to elaborate on their thinking.
Step 3: Word Search
Next, print the following word search page and work with your child to complete it.
Step 4: Colouring Fun
Wow! You’re making great progress – you should very proud of yourself 🙂
Next, onto colouring! Print off the colouring document located at the link below. Colour in Stellaluna and add a background to the picture.
CLICK TO VIEW STELLALUNA COLOURING PAGE
Consider hanging the finished picture on the fridge afterwards as a way to congratulate your child for their hard work!