Today, we’re going to…
- watch a video about a baby bat called Stellaluna, a story by Janell Cannon
- answer some questions
- write about Stellaluna and the baby birds’ friendship
- complete a word search
Talking Points for Parents / Caregivers
Before watching the video, consider asking the following…
- Look at the cover page. What do you think the story will be about?
- What do you think you know about bats?
After watching the video, consider asking the following…
- How does Stellaluna’s mom carry her when she searches for food?
- How are you and your friends the same? How are you different?
- What was your favourite part of the story?
Step 1: Video
To hear Stellaluna’s story, watch the video below.
Step 2: Reading Comprehension – Think About It
Once you have finished watching the video, print the document located at the link below and think about whether you would prefer to be a bat or a bird. The answers to the questions can be found at the link below. You may print these answers off and use them as a reference, or check your answers here.
CLICK TO VIEW THE QUESTION SHEET
Step 3: Writing – Think About It
Stellaluna and the baby birds have a unique and different friendship. Do you think it will last? Why?
Print the following page and write your opinion.
CLICK TO VIEW THE WRITING PROMPT SHEET
Step 4: Word Search
Next, print the following page and complete the word search. The answers to the word search can be found at the link below. You may print these answers off and use them as a reference, or check your answers here.