Today, we’re going to…
- read aloud, or watch a video about, Carla’s Sandwich by Debbie Herman
- answer the questions about the story
- do a colouring activity about Carla’s Sandwich
Talking Points for Parents / Caregivers
- Does everyone like the same foods? Tell me about the foods you like.
- Do you like to try new food? Tell why or why not.
- Why does Buster decide to try the sandwich?
- Why didn’t anyone want to sit next to Carla?
- Tell about a time when you tried something new and were pleasantly surprised, like Buster.
- Make up your own unique sandwich and describe it.
Step 1: Reading / Video
If you have the book Carla’s Sandwich, read it aloud to your child.
Those of you who do not have the book can watch the following video:
Step 2: Question Answer Page
Once you have finished watching the video, print the document located at the link below and answer the questions. Complete the activity with your child.
Step 3: Carla’s Lunch Box Fun
Wow! You’re making great progress – you should very proud of yourself 🙂
What is Carla bringing for lunch next? Think about a sandwich or other foods Carla might take to school for lunch. Draw and colour the foods on the page.
As an alternative, have your child look through magazines and cut out pictures of foods or meals and paste them onto the page. Why did they choose those foods?
Consider putting your child’s page on the fridge afterwards as a way to congratulate your child for their hard work and creativity!